Award-Winning Writer & Photographer
Ruthanne Johnson is an award-winning journalist with nearly twenty years of experience. Her articles range from topics of adventure and travel to pet care, nature, gardening, cooking, business profiles and more. She has contributed regularly to publications such as All Animals Magazine, Boulder Magazine, Boulder County Home & Garden, Animal Sheltering, Monte Vista Journal and The Aurora Guide. She has also been published in the Valley Courier, The Flume, Crestone Eagle, Pagosa Sun, Del Norte Prospector, Denver Urban Spectrum, 10Best.com, and Massage & Bodywork Magazine.
Her content has been republished on websites such as HuffingtonPost.com, Massagetherapy.com and Dailygood.com.
She lives in Colorado with her husband and their rescued dogs Huckleberry, Chili Pepper and Juice.
Text and photos by Ruthanne Johnson
* Additional writing samples on the "Published Stories & Testimonials" link
Or scroll down
To inquire about freelance services, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Freelance Writer/Journalist, Colorado 2003-present
Writes articles for a variety of publications, including Boulder Magazine, Boulder County Home & Garden Magazine, The Aurora Guide, Animal Sheltering, and All Animals, an award-winning national magazine published by The Humane Society of the United States. Topics include pet care, backyard wildlife, business profiles, celebrity Q & A's, animal welfare, interior design, sustainable living, gardening and cooking. Her stories have also been published in Massage & Bodywork Magazine, Del Norte Prospector, The Flume, Valley Courier, Monte Vista Journal, Monte Vista Tribune, Crestone Eagle, Pagosa Sun and 10 Best.com.
The Humane Society of the United States, Gaithersburg, MD 2008-2016
Staff Writer, All Animals magazine
Wrote full time for the award-winning, bi-monthly All Animals magazine, with an audience of more than 1.5 million people. Story topics included HSUS campaign work, celebrity interviews, wildlife issues, animal rescue and rehabilitation, tips for pet owners and wildlife watchers, vegan cooking and more. Regular columns included “Your Pet,” “In the Kitchen,” "Your Best Shot,” "Destination Wildlife," and the award-winning "To the Rescue." Managed the All Animals email for the “Letters to the Editor” section and co-managed the All Animals Facebook page. Also wrote periodically for Animal Sheltering magazine (an HSUS subscription publication for shelters, rescues, veterinarians and universities) and Humane Activist, which highlights animal welfare-related legislation. Researched for The HSUS Online Answer Tool to help people humanely resolve urban wildlife and companion animal issues such as evicting mice from homes and housetraining pets
The Denver Urban Spectrum, Denver, CO 2007-2008
Staff Writer and Designer
Wrote and edited features, and organized sections such as “Community Notes,” “Movies,” and “Events.” Designed the back half of the newspaper using Quark Design and Layout.
- 2016 Folio Award, Honorable Mention in the Eddie and Ozzie category for best recurring feature in a nonprofit publication, “To the Rescue” section, All Animals Magazine
- 2014, K9ofMine.com, 15 Best Dog Articles of 2014 for "Exit Strategies," All Animals Magazine
- July, 2013, Apex Award, Award of Excellence, Writing (Entire Issue), Jan/Feb 2013, All Animals Magazine
- February, 2008 Society of Professional Journalists/Colorado Chapter, Honorable Mention, General Reporting in Business for "Legal Workers, the Tightening Immigration Belt," Denver Urban Spectrum
- 2008, Society of Professional Journalists/Colorado Chapter, Honorable Mention in Sigma Delta Chi Awards for “The Modern Piñata Makers,” Denver Urban Spectrum
- 2007 Interviewed by Ryan Warner on Colorado Public Radio for “The 1932 Washington Park Incident: Denver’s Forgotten Segregation Protest,” published in the Denver Urban Spectrum
“HSUS, HSI rescue animals from dog meat trade in South Korea”
"The Tale of an Unprejudiced Heart"
"Choose Your Adventure"
For more writing samples, email email@example.com
Links to more writing samples
To contact Ruthanne
~ For writing, editing or research ~
“Ruthanne confronts the grim reality of animal abuse and neglect cases by balancing a story’s negative aspects with positives, leaving readers with a feeling of hope."
Emily Smith, Editorial Director
All Animals Magazine